Saturday, November 26, 2016

Friday Post on Saturday Again :)

This week, I want to clarify my opinion on “joining.” In so doing, I will answer a couple more questions. 

As I matured, I realized I was different. I was probably about six when I began to want to express to my family that I am not in control of my body and that when they imitate my actions, it is frustrating and not only that, but it reinforced my “out of control” behavior. By this, I mean the behaviors that my body does impulsively and without my consent. By joining those behaviors, *I* was invalidated, and autism was reinforced. I realize that was never the intention, and I appreciate the time and effort.


One way to interact with someone like me is to presume competence and speak to me like you would to anyone else. If I walk away, know that it was not my intention and love me in spite of my impulses and know that I love you too. In the words of the terminator, “I’ll be back.”

1 comment: