Monday, December 5, 2016

Veering from FAQ

This is a letter I wrote to a friend, in case it is helpful to you:

i’m wanting to describe what i felt when i first started RPM and encourage you on your journey. i was kind of crazy in the beginning because i was so excited and i wanted so badly to communicate. all the effort has been worth it. my body fought against RPM by running away acting like i didn’t want it. i had to overcome those  
impulses and my mom had to push through my aggression and now i’m able to communicate and to spell my body into action. what i mean is that i can spell commands to my body and control it. now i can ask for a lesson instead of always fighting and that means i can progress. i’m learning to communicate on the keyboard and verbally. it also means i can take online college courses and have a hopeful future. i want all of that for you too.
your friend,
kaegan

2 comments:

  1. Kaegan, I love this post. It is so helpful to read of your experiences while you were trying to gain control of your body. With my son, I worried when he became upset in the early days, but he now assures me that he really wanted to spell his thoughts. Thanks for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the encouragement I need today. We are 2 years into using RPM and it is going very slowly. I won’t give up though. I know my daughter has much more to say.

    ReplyDelete