Sunday, April 17, 2016

FAQ.... Sunday

FAQ Friday slipped by! So here it is on Sunday....

Grammy and Grandpa ask:
Can we hug you now?

Kaegan answers:
I actually like hugs and don't know why my body turns to the side, and I hope you will still keep hugging me!



Faith asks:
What do you want to tell people who want to build relationships with people on the autism spectrum so that they can be good friends?

Kaegan answers:
I think that it is the same as with anyone and that if you share your thoughts and interests with them, they will feel loved. (I think it is insulting to "join.")

Faith asks a clarifying question:
People don't feel it's the same because some people with autism don't respond the way they would expect. What do they need to understand to keep trying to build the relationship even when the person with autism seems uninterested or acts out?

Kaegan answers:
Always assume all the aspects are there even when they don't appear to be, and know that you are making a difference. It is a paradigm shift in your thinking and I think you have to also be aware that they are always inside listening.


1 comment:

  1. Hello Kaegan,
    Thank you for your dedication to learn and practice RPM and share your thoughts with us. You wrote above that you think it's insulting to "join". Even in your younger years was this true? Have you ever enjoyed being joined? I trained as a son rise facilitator but am no longer certified in that method. I can understand how it would feel insulting to be "joined" in an action you don't actually want to do, especially if the person knows you don't want to do that action.

    ReplyDelete